Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Merging Sessions with EclEmma

A subtle feature of EclEmma that I didn't notice yesterday is the ability to merge sessions.

While this certainly has application in areas where multiple test runs, suites or executions are responsible for some indication of 'total coverage', that aspect wasn't particularly exciting to me.

What I didn't realize is that this lets you merge in changes in coverage with a previous high-level coverage run. For instance. A test suite that I ran yesterday out of curiosity took 35 minutes to run through EclEmma.

Since that time, I improved the coverage of a few classes just to see the results. I can and did run a coverage test against those few individual tests just to verify that the coverage was as expected, but only this morning did I realize that I could merge those individual test runs back into the overall suite.

This allows me to get a decent 'update' of the overall coverage without running the whole suite again. Useful.

No comments: