Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Microsoft Trips Over Own Feet: VSS and VS.NET on Vista

The left hand of Redmond doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing. They're tripping over their own feet. Even with all the mis-steps with Windows Vista, how is it possible that recent versions of two of their primary development tools don't run on their own operating system?

A few months ago, there was a a lot of chatter about the fact that several versions of Visual Studio won't work on Vista, and that upgrading might force you to upgrade the version of the .NET framework underneath. Now it turns out you can't host Visual SourceSafe on Vista either?

Baffling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I am running Visual Studio 2005 on Vista (Home Premium) right now. Service Pack 1 installed fine too, including SP1 Update for Vista.

Having said that, I have installed it 3 days ago (but I still have to see the problems). I don't use Visual Source Safe, though.

Geoffrey Wiseman said...

I've forgotten some of the details about the Visual Studio issues at this point, just that there was a fair amount of rants on the subject.

My recollection (and the KB article) implies that both 2002 and 2003 Visual Studio won't run. I seem to recall that Visual Studio 2005 wouldn't work with older versions of the .NET framework, but I'm not an authority on the subject, just an outside observer.

Geoffrey Wiseman said...

Here's a pointer to one of the discussions at the time.