Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Eclipse 3.5 M4: Never Join Lines

As of Eclipse 3.5 M4, the formatter has an option to "Never Join Lines" or preserve user line breaks.

Finally.

I've gotta say, that's been one of my most consistent irritations with the Eclipse formatter ever since I started using the damn thing, something that IntelliJ IDEA did farther back than I can remember. I'm really looking forward to that.

While I'm on the subject:

  • Eclipse 3.5 M5
    • The ability to quickly paste a site in to install rather than having to manage your sites seems like a good addition, in keeping with how people actually want to use the system.
    • SWT/Cocoa leaving experimental stage, that's good news for Apple fans.
  • Eclipse 3.5 M4
    • Preserving line breaks.
  • Eclipse 3.5 M3
    • The equals/hashcode compiler warning seems like a good idea.
    • The extension point for clean-ups seems like something that could result in some useful additions given time.
  • Eclipse 3.5.M2
  • Eclipse 3.5.M1
    • Support for ${inheritDoc} in the Javadoc view is great.
    • Comparing word documents is the sort of feature I hope I don't need to use, but will probably end up using at some point anyway.
    • A warning for comparing identical expressions seems valuable.
All in all, there's nothing here that seems critical, but lots of useful polish, and the formatter one alone is enough to warrant the ugprade. I'll have to take a look at the larger release train as well to see what else is coming.

That said, I have to say, I'm disappointed with 3.4 release -- I've had more problems with it than with previous versions, it feels like the quality's dropped off a little.

No comments: